In the next week or so we will be launching our Summer skills sessions 2020. These ‘sessions’ have been designed to support our academics with delivery of the RAU blended curriculum for the next academic year.
The sessions are an online Moodle course that cover three main areas:
- Academic staff induction
- Preparing for the next academic year
- Taking it to the next level
Academic staff induction is recommended for new staff or staff who want to ensure their skills are up to date. It covers:
- Library and resource management skills including copyright and open access
- VLE skills including Gateway and Turnitin
- Panopto skills (beginner) including an introduction to Panopto
- An overview of RAU Learning and teaching systems
Preparing for the next academic year is recommended for all academic staff. It supports our new blended learning curriculum and covers:
- VLE skills including updating module pages
- Digital accessibility skills
- Panopto skills (intermediate) including Panopo captioning
- Online teaching skills including best practice tips, self-directed learning and basic quizzes
- Onsite seminar skills including bringing in people from online to seminars
Taking it to the next level is recommended for academic staff who want to build on existing skills. It covers:
- Online activity skills including Moodle quizzes advanced level
- Panopto skills (advance) including adding quizzes
- ePortfolio skills including editing Mahara
- H5P skills
The course content is predominately made up of short captioned videos, though there are also quizzes, online activities and links to existing good practice on other course pages.
The course has activity completion activated and academics can mark off the content they have covered when completed. They can follow their progress in the completion progress bar.
There are also digital badges available if people complete all the activities in an area.